3 Tips For Healthy Weight Management


America is dealing with an obesity problem. This is not just something that adults face; children are at risk for obesity as well. Luckily, it is the small things that make such a difference when it comes to weight management. Here are some things you can do to control weight gain.

1. Get Enough Sleep

When you are tired, your hormones and chemicals in your body are off. This will not only make you feel irritable and frustrated, it will also cause you to over eat. If you do not have the proper hormone balance in your body, it may make your feel hungry even though your body is not. Sometimes, people eat because they are tired, rather than eating because they are hungry.

For this reason, try to get 8 hours of sleep a night. You might have to give up watching a movie, skip your long shower in the morning, or avoid a late date night; but it will be worth it. A good night's rest will benefit you in many ways.

2. Don't Crash Diet

There are many fad diets going around, and although you may have success with them for a short period of time, they are not sustainable. This means that once you stop restricting foods from your diet, or eating a little more, your body will spiral backwards, and you could even gain more weight.

Instead try doing the 80/20 rule. This means that 80% of your diet should be healthy foods. Thus, you should be eating a good deal of veggies, fruits, lean meats, and healthy dairy. Then the other 20% can be fun food. The reason for this is that if you withhold certain foods from yourself, you might binge eat it when you get a chance. Instead, allow yourself to have some dessert. You will eat less and feel better.

3. Lifestyle Changes

Lastly, exercise is incredibly important, but you need to find something that is sustainable. It may not be realistic to try and exercise an hour in the morning and an hour at night. If you only have 20 minutes a day, or every other day to exercise, try to make the most out of that time. Then throughout your day, try to find places to get your heart rate up. Walk more, take the stairs, do some pushups before bed, etc. Amazingly the little things are what will give you the best results.

By doing these simple things, you can maintain a healthy weight. For more information, contact Independence Park Medical Services Inc. or a similar organization.


2 October 2014

Making Health Care A Priority

When it comes to taking care of yourself, some people only think about what they should avoid. However, making health care a priority is as much about preventing as it is about treating existing conditions. When I learned that I had skin cancer a few years ago, all I could think about was all of the sunblock I never put on. I want you to understand how to prevent problems, so that you can live a better life. Check out these articles to understand how to make health care a priority, and when you should visit with your doctor. It might seem like a small decision, but doing a little reading might make all the difference later.